As we are getting ready to return back to normal, here are all the answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on COVID-19 vaccine Sinovac by the Department of Health.
What COVID-19 vaccines have been granted an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the Philippine Food and Drug Administration (FDA)?
- Sinovac vaccine is the 3rd vaccines to be granted an EUA in the Philippines. Pfizer BioNTech and Oxford AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have been previously granted an EUA by the Philippine FDA.
When did the Philippines FDA grant the EUA for Sinovac?
- The Philippines FDA granted an EUA to Sinovac on February 22, 2021.
What other countries have been granted an EUA for the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine?
- Five countries including China, Indonesia, Turkey, and Brazil have EUA approvals for the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine (as of Feb 11, 2021).
Is Sinovac safe?
- Yes. As per the evaluation of the Philippine FDA, and concurred by expert groups, the safety profile for clinically healthy individuals aged 18-59 years old is good. Adverse events were mild to moderate, and the possibility of allergy or anaphylaxis is minimal.
Is the CoronaVac (Sinovac) effective?
- Yes. Clinical trial data show that the vaccine is 50% effective in preventing mild symptoms, 78% effective against moderate symptoms, and 100% effective against severe symptoms.